Avoid Holiday Plumbing Nightmares: Tips for a Smooth Season
The holiday season is a time of joy, togetherness, and celebration. However, it can also be a season of unexpected plumbing issues if you’re not careful. At Popejoy Plumbing, Heating, & Electric, we want to help you enjoy a stress-free and plumbing-trouble-free holiday season. Here are some tips to ensure your plumbing stays in top shape during this festive time of year:
- Mind What You Dispose of: During holiday feasts, it’s tempting to dispose of food scraps down the kitchen sink or garbage disposal. However, some items like bones, vegetable peels, and fats can clog your drains. Use a compost bin or trash can for disposal instead.
- Avoid Overloading the Garbage Disposal: Be mindful of what you put into your garbage disposal. Feed it small amounts of food scraps and run plenty of water while it’s in use. Avoid putting starchy or fibrous foods down the disposal, as they can lead to clogs.
- Be Cautious with Grease: After cooking a delicious holiday meal, it’s common to have leftover grease or oil. Avoid pouring it down the drain, as it can solidify and cause blockages. Instead, let it cool and then dispose of it in the trash.
- Check Your Water Heater: With guests taking showers and doing dishes, your water heater may be working overtime. Make sure it’s in good working condition before the holidays. If you notice any issues, contact Popejoy Plumbing for an inspection or repairs.
- Inspect Your Plumbing: Before your guests arrive, inspect your plumbing fixtures for leaks, drips, or other issues. Address any problems promptly to prevent them from becoming major headaches during the holidays.
- Prevent Frozen Pipes: If you live in an area with cold winters, take steps to prevent frozen pipes. Insulate exposed pipes, keep cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate, and let faucets drip slightly to prevent freezing.
- Know the Location of the Main Water Shutoff Valve: In case of a plumbing emergency, such as a burst pipe, it’s essential to know where your main water shutoff valve is located. This knowledge can help you quickly cut off the water supply to minimize damage.
- Consider a Plumbing Inspection: If you have concerns about your plumbing system, consider scheduling a pre-holiday plumbing inspection with Popejoy Plumbing. Our professional technicians can identify and address any potential issues, ensuring a trouble-free holiday season.
By following these tips and being mindful of your plumbing during the holiday season, you can avoid unexpected plumbing nightmares and focus on enjoying quality time with your loved ones. If you do encounter any plumbing issues, don’t hesitate to contact Popejoy Plumbing for prompt and reliable assistance. We’re here to make your holidays merry and bright.
Free water test
Restrictions may apply. Cannot be combined with other offers. Contact Popejoy for complete details.